More experimenting with the Tagine. I like the idea because most of the recipes that I have used or I have tried require very little effort or preparation work and they cook for longer periods of time without much attention required which means they are perfect for after a long day at work. I can come home and put the few but amazing ingredients together then sit and relax for a while supper cooks and we still end up with an amazing supper that was home cooked without a lot of effort.
This recipe was a particular hit because it had a potatoes in it which made it a full meal. The only down side was that we did not have any pitas or like bread to eat with the meal so we used toasted bread. But this meal is one that does require something to soak up the amazing sauce with! The left over chicken breast also made a very good and amazing chicken salad sandwich the next day.
Note that many of the tagine recipes I am cooking called for either avocado or Olive Oil and I have used an avocado blended mix because pure avocado oil was not in my budget.
3 tbsp avocado or olive oil
2 onions, cut into quarters (I only used 1 because of my tagine size)
4 to 6 skinless boneless chicken breasts (I only used 3 because of tagine size)
1 cup chicken broth
1 piece approx. 2" cinnamon stick
1 can - 14 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 chopped flat-left parsley
- In a bowl combine the melted butter, saffron and turmeric. Set aside.
- In the bottom of the tagine heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and potatoes cook while stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add spice mixture, chicken sliding around and moving the onions away to brown the chicken - I made sure that the chicken made contact with the bottom and side of the tagine to improve browning. Cook for about 5 minutes or until chicken is browned.
- Using tongs, turn chicken over, add broth and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Cover with tagine lid, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring once, for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and parsley. Replace lid and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until chickpeas are heated through and chicken is no longer pink inside. Discard cinnamon stick prior to serving.