Makes: 6 servings
Time: 6 hrs 30 mins
1 lb Yellow Potatoes, peeled and cut
1 lb Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
4 lbs Chicken breasts, skinless and boneless (This was my modification because that's what I have)
4 cups Chicken Broth
4 Scallions, chopped
4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
3 ears Corn, cut into 3 inch pieces
1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
Notes / Directions
1. Place the yellow and sweet potatoes into a slow cooker. Add the chicken, broth, scallions and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Add 4 cups water and tuck corn around the chicken. Cover and cook on low heat until the chicken is tender and instant read thermometer inserted into a thigh away from the bone registers 165 about 6 hours.
2. Transfer the chicken to a shallow bowl, leaving the slow cooker on.
3. Skim the fat from the cooking liquid. Smash some of the potatoes in the slow cooker. Add the chicken and stir in 1/4 cup cilantro. Top the soup with avocados and sour cream.
- This recipe originally called for the use of a chicken (whole or chicken parts I can't actually recall) but I don't keep that in my house on a regular basis so I used chicken breasts which I always have in my house.
- I know that this was suppose to be a soup. However, when I took the chicken breasts out of the slow cooker to mash them everything looked rather good on it's own without having to put it back in the broth so we ate them as is - chicken, corn and potatoes.
- I had forgotten to pick up scallions for this recipe and I could note that the potatoes and chicken were good but rather one note. I would make sure I either have the scallions next time to increase the flavour OR I would add some diced Onion and Garlic to the mix. Also I would likely add some poultry or italian seasoning to kick up the flavour.
- I also didn't have the corn and the chicken completely under water and it definitely affected how they turned out. Next time I would make sure that everything was under the water.
- I also found that the pound of each kind of potato was an awful lot (we had left overs for two other meals during the week).
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but I will be sure to take a picture next time :)