|Just some of my cookbooks!
Now this may sound a little weird at first but - when you understand the number of cookbooks I have....(Now there are at least 10 books missing from this picture and are in different places around the house.
So yeah - we have a lot of cook books that I have collected overtime. and they aren't all just cook books - I have a spice bible (which is amazing by the way).
Anyways so as you can tell - this means the art of selecting new books to add to our collection is a very serious business. So as I said I was skeptical because I've had one pot books before and honestly it's usually not as promised.
In this case - it wasn't as promised either. The recipe actually required two pots/cooking dishes but given how well this receipt turned out I am not going to hold it against the book.
I would make some modifications to the recipe the next time I make it. It was really good but it could have been better.
|Butter chicken Mac & Cheese
(About 30 minutes)
350g Boneless skin less chicken breast (I used 3)
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup butter
1/2 Onion chopped
4 tsp AP Flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 prepared butter chicken sauce
1 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp Tandoori Masala
2 cups elbow macaroni
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cube the chicken breast - (smaller than you would normally cut for butter chicken - under 1/2" x 1/2" for each piece)
- Sprinkle the chicken breast with salt, pepper (next time I would also sprinkle with the tandoori Masala).
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to the package instructions for al dente; drain well.
- Do not add oil to your pasta water and do not rinse the pasta.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, melt 1 tbsp of butter over medium heat; cook chick, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink about 5 minutes.
- I use butter chicken pasted instead of sauce. Next time I would add the paste to the chicken after it's done cooking mixed with just a little water to get the flavour all the way into the chicken instead.
- Once chicken is cooked, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Once melted add the chicken and cook until softened about 2 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the milk and butter chick sauce
- If using paste and not prepared sauce - up the milk to 2 cups OR 1 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Whisk and cook until thick enough to coat the back of spoon - about 4 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of each type of cheese
- Honestly we just added all the cheese and grated more for the top!
- Stir in the chicken until well coated. Sprinkle with the remaining (or extra) cheese and broil until the top is bubbling and lightly browned about 3 minutes.
- Let stand for about 4 minutes and sprinkle with cilantro..
This is a very popular dish in our house hold now. I didn't want to chop more cilantro and I already had a cilantro lime creama in the house so I used that - it was amazingly good!
Cilantro Lime Creama
1 cup Sour Cream
Juice of 1/2 lime
Zest from 1/2 lime
Salt (to taste)
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro.
Mix well and let mingle for at least 30 minutes.